Barbara McKinzie is an entrepreneur and finance professional currently serving as a Certified Public Accountant (CPA), Business Consultant, and C suite coach for aspiring leaders in the Chicago area. With over 12 years of executive management experience as well as over three decades of professional experience, Barbara has successfully led the financial and membership growth for numerous global organizations including leadership development corporations and educational foundations. Her specialties include general and financial management, public speaking, development and execution of business strategy, marketing, international conference planning, risk and investment advisor, and even economic development initiatives in Africa.
As the Chief Financial Officer for several multi-billion dollar public and private companies, Barbara was recruited to restructure and establish internal financial processes, improve operations while establishing management protocols and return corporations to profitability. Her leadership led to the realization of more than $70 million in additional profits.
Barbara McKinzie is a graduate of East Central University where she obtained a Bachelor of Science in Business Administration. She would go on to pursue her Masters in Business Administration (MBA) from the Kellogg Graduate School at Northwestern University, from which she graduated in 1997.
Barbara McKinzie has acquired an impressive list of accomplishments and awards over the years for her relentless dedication and tireless work ethic.
For her leadership, economics, and vision, Barbara McKinzie has been awarded the following:
- 2001 Woman of the Year by the American Biographical Institute.
- Top 25 Outstanding Business Women of 2002 by The New York Network Journal.
- Honored by the 111th Congress of the United States of America with H. RES. 1711, recognizing the “Eminently Successful Performance and Record of Excellence of Barbara A. McKinzie.”
- Honorary Doctorate of Humane Letters, Stillman College, Tuscaloosa, AL. 2007
- President’s Award, Langston University, Langston, OK. 2010
- Recipient of two American flags flown over the US Capital in recognition of
AKA’s 100th anniversary and achievements as President.
- Guinness Book of Records award for hosting the largest sit-down dinner in the world. 2008
- HistoryMakers Interview now a permanent part of The HistoryMakers Collection at the Library of Congress and The HistoryMakers Digital Archive.
Barbara’s lifelong service to Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority includes:
- 2006 – Installed as twenty-seventh President of the Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority and Centennial Supreme Basileus. Barbara raised over $14M for the organization and its foundation during her four year term in office and increased its membership over 20%
- 2002 – Elected First Vice President
- 1998 and 2000 – Elected International Treasurer
- 1985 – Fourth Executive Director of the AKA Sorority
- 1985 – Second Secretary of AKA’s Educational Advancement Foundation, increasing the sorority’s annual cash flow by more than one million dollars
- 1978 and 1982– Financial advisor of AKA
Barbara has been an active member in multiple civic and service organizations and has been named to several boards, including:
- Board of Directors, Strategic Planning Committee, Nominating Committee, United Negro College Fund
- Board of Directors and Treasurer, Africare
- JP Morgan Real Estate Advisory Board
- Board of Directors and President (Chicago), National Association of Black Accountants
Today, Barbara McKinzie works with growing businesses, helping owners realize their dreams while preserving capital. Her clientele comes from industries across the board, including manufacturing, service, government, and health care. Barbara is passionate about education and public speaking. She firmly believes in transferring knowledge through businesses and utilizing money to invest in our schools. As a public speaker and educator, McKinzie aims to help you with the economics in your life – both personal and professional.
Barbara McKinzie knows that knowledge can be transformed into achieving dreams.